Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Tomorrow belongs to me


Is a song put to great use in this film.

I've always had a searing aversion to posh boys. Forged, I think, back in the 50's when my Mum and Dad used to send me to Crusaders. A Sunday School organisation with links to public schools, helping the deserving poor and exhorting the great and the good to be philanthropic.

Broadly working-class in my upbringing, I think my parents thought that by enabling me to mix with a wide and diverse range of different people my future would be assured.

I think they were right in this and, thankfully, this early exposure to my betters left me with a life-long political hatred towards privilege and a leaning towards supporting others in common community spirit, a tendency towards self-help and an abhorrence of the political philosophy "tomorrow belongs to me"

Recently, I've been watching a series on BBC4 in which reprocessed black and white film has been used to show what England was like between 1900 and the end of the second world war in 1945.

Interestingly, nothing really changes. For example, within a year of the end of the war to end all wars where over 9 million ordinary people were slaughtered, the elite (as ever) were having a lovely day out at Ascot

Today, in much the same way (in a move that beggars belief) we see greedy posh boys off-loading private debt into the meagre public purse of poor people.

What a bloody scandal it all is.

And yesterday evening, whilst in Sainsbury's, I was queueing for a few items to make a pasta for Steen and I. The guy behind me in the queue looked a bit like this. He was holding quite a nice bottle of wine.

Someone at the front of the queue dropped a bottle in the lane. Glass and sticky liquid flowed everywhere. Cue Sainsbury's Hand S team. Mops, buckets, signs and an order from the cashier to "please move to lane one"

Posh boy knew his moment had come. He was off at a posh-boy double canter, no doubt learnt from many posh-boy races at posh-boy school.

First in line, head of the queue, Chateauneuf du Pape safely into the Bag For Life. Off into the car park, Toyota Land Cruiser fired up and back to the hills.

"Tomorrow belongs to me" in his head.

Dont'cha just love it ?

JVIP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter