Friday, December 03, 2010

Baby, it's cold outside!


Is a song about love I guess.

My days have a degree of routine about them these days.

I get up around 8ish as Steen goes off on the 8:15 to Gloucester. Today the airwaves are full of the news of a failed World-Cup bid.

I feel emotionally removed from it. Why would you want to have anything at all to do with such filthy corruption? And I'm a LFC supporter ffs!

The house is cold in winter.

We decided, Steen and I, we would try to live without central heating. This decision has not always been easy to stick with. Particularly over the last few weeks, where the Cotswold's have experienced sub-zero temperatures for most of the time.

Last winter there was one memorably bad moment (at 6.45 one cold Monday morning) where Steen realised a lot of her clothes were beginning to go mouldy because of the condensation and damp. We borrowed an ancient dehumidifier off her dad to fix the problem!

Not before there were tears however. And Steen was quite upset too.

I'm at home a lot now and my armory against the creeping tentacles of cold has increased.

Primarily the age old recourse to (a favorite of mine) Lidl's, has led me to investing in Angora Thermal Underwear and, what Steen calls, my bear suit.

A woollen Gilet made by the company Meradiso in a fetching dark brown.

There's other stuff too.

The wood-burning stove, the roof insulation, the triple glazing the eco fans, a cheerful heart and effective "keep going" statements.

Normally, the wood-burner goes on about 7 ish and, throughout the day, I wrap up warm.

Today sees me typing in Steptoe sty lee open-fingered gloves for example.

When people come to the house they are shocked by a background temperature of about 10 degrees C.

The opposite is true for me when I go to visit others.

In particular, my Mother (84) who is probably this company's greatest customer and runs her entire property at a searing and sub-tropical 26.

Tonight, Steen and myself are going off busking here. We'll collect money for our little radio station.

Tomorrow we're doing a short set here for Charity after the Saturday Radio Show and Sunday, a day to watch footie probably and (thank God for Love Film) this movie.

Talk Soon

JVIP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter