Thursday, July 12, 2007

Didn´t we have a lovely time......


Ten minutes after posting last night, I received the following text from Pip


"Hang in there little Bear-You´ll Make it"


There is a God then.


Today I went here. The place, run by Nigel and Ginny is in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Drive down the motorway to Algerciras from Tarifa and take a turn up into the hills to Ronda. Then back roads for 30 Ks and then dirt track for 3k. One of these is essential. The flies and the hard nature of the terrain are very sapping.


What N and G are doing is developing the most amazing farm to breed high quality animals for others to buy. Quite clearly they are saying, there is no real European market for wool and the´ve decided breeding animals for sale at (sometimes) in excess of 15K Euro is the best way forward.


We (Thumper, Myself, Rob and Chez) arrived as N and G were about to celebrate the opening of a swimming pool with their builders. We had a glass of something nice and then went to see the animals at the bottom of this huge valley. The temperature was touching 41c ! N and G have been here about 3 years and, like others, have rejected England in favour of a wilder life full of hard work, back-breaking toil and........freedom.


It was really interesting. R and C are hoping to buy about 10 of these lovely little animals to have on their place in Tarifa. They want to produce wool and maybe sell youngsters to other interested people here in Andulacia. It may cost them in excess of Euro25k. They seem very serious about it and think they are going to call the first batch after their friends from England. Sweet huh ?


We went to a country restaurant later and had this. It was delicious.


As we drove towards home, I reflected this could be the last time I´ll ever see these people. When I left them finally, it was with a very heavy heart I did so and I felt a (now familiar and usual) sickening wrench in my guts.


R was a property developer/architect type person who did really well in England during the boom 80´s and then fell ill with hard work and needed to live an easier life.


He and Chez came to Spain looking for a way-out and found it in Tarifa. They built a beautiful house on the outskirts of the town and, slowly, over about 3 years now have put down real roots in this community. Both are kind, warm and generous people. Such good and interesting friends. In fact, the very reason I came here at this time was to attend their Son´s 21st Birthday Party last Thursday.


As I left, they asked, "When are you coming back to see us?" I answered lamely, "I´ll have to see"


Later this evening, I´m going out for a drink with Luce. We had a meal last night in the best restaurant in town, Morillas. I had a fried-fish platter that tasted perfect. Tonight will be a difficult one. Say no more. She is such a sweet love.


Pip has recognised, quite rightly, I need her support today and so I know she´s not far away in terms of contact. I am going to need so much more from her over the coming months too. I feel like shit tonight and need to feel her close.


I land at 14.20 tomorrow and, until then, will try to keep this in my head.


JVIP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter