Sunday, March 18, 2007

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup,


I'm on a Laptop.


Perched precariously on a really uncomfortable seat in my little back dining room; Thumper having forbidden me to use my comfortable old computer chair "because it's ugly"


My big wonderful vista laden powerhouse sat close-by redundant. Why ?


Because the good people at BT have yet to develop the software to make my little wireless thing work. "The end of the month" a Scottish voice tells me. Apparently, the call centre for serious technical enquiries of this nature being kept "in house" and a long way from New Dehli.


The hoops and hurdles in getting the laptop to work was just amazing. It took about.......yes......all day. I spent at least 3 hours on the phone to firstly, Khalid and then....... bizarrely.....Craig (although I don't believe this was a real name).


Thing is, Beep Be Beep's mate Kev has "customized" this machine so it looks like an apple mac. Goodness knows why but he has and that means some of the utilities conflict with the wireless software which, inexplicably, keeps turning itself off. Dear god....spare me this technology.


So.....to the uninitiated, what happens is you make a phone call to India and they shadow your desk top and sort out the glitches.


Khalid, a cool boy, loved the look of the faux Apple notebook. Craig on the other hand found it all too much and struggled to see the point.


Interesting to talk to these wonderful people about such things though. And they are so so so polite and nice. Highly annoying too inasmuch as they keep it formulaic mostly, to which (of course) I play subversive. like, "do you have family" and "what sort of car do you drive"


They give up after a while and go along with it. Love their hearts.


In my work I have contact with lots of Craig's, but very few Khalid's.


Meanwhile, my big old vista monster still sits next to me.....glowering for lack of use. My back aches.


Seeing Pip for a week nearly from tonight. Rock and Roll.


JVIP

1 Comments:

Blogger Phoenix said...

Of course you would never have got to talk to Kahlid if you had not had a problem. Every cloud ......

Phoenix
x

2:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter