Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Yea Yea yea yea


Beeb-Be-Beep has brought a book back from America. It’s a Beatles songbook with all the original chords and Tab attached.

Back in the day, I got hold of a book with all these songs in it. Trouble was, it was transposed into piano chords mostly. So E’s and A’s not really figuring in the mix. More your C’s C7’s and F’s. Not music to an old rockers ears really.

So, now I have the original thing and I’m struck by how cool some of these songs really are. Transition between straight chords and bars has always been tricky for me. This, mainly because I have small hands so I’ve not approached the more difficult numbers as yet.

Both Pip and rock star son (RSS) will have none of this of course.

Pip “It’s just a matter of practice-get on with it” She’s a mistress alright !

RSS “Your hands are as big as mine and I can play them” He spends 4 hours a day with a guitar in his hands !

What I say is, “well done you two”

I will now practice, however. And you’ll see…..I will get to Broadway !

……………….

Sometimes I go to Spain and on one of these occasions, I met up with a guy called Claudio. Claudio used to be a musician with the French Philharmonic. He comes from Marseilles. Claudio fell on hard times in the 70’s and drifted down to the Spanish Coast and has eked out a living there since.
Living in very reduced circumstances, Claudio is a guitar god.

He knows the entire arpeggio to most of the Beatles 194 songs and plays these on a battered old flamenco acoustic. Whilst down there last time I gave him my copy of my C’s and F’s Beatles song book with the instructions, “please enjoy this”.

Claudio was overjoyed with this tatty old gift and, I’m sure, he’ll be a more accomplished player now as a result. Beatles songs do that to you don’t they ?

…………………………….

My boy and his bass player have decided they are going to learn all these songs completely properly. They are due to start in March and are doing them Album by Album. Please Please me is their start point. Good luck to them I say. I am dead impressed that two 20 something’s care about this stuff.

I’ll be happy to strum along in the background making Johnny Cash growling noises occasionally.

Just need to get those transitions right !
JVIP

5 Comments:

Blogger Phoenix said...

JVIP

Pip has a point. Practice makes perfect

Phoenix
x

12:27 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

VIP,

i always wanted to play the guitar but my hands are really small i cant do flat chords.

i remember gaving up.

i wonder if i should try again now.

4:41 pm  
Blogger Jungle VIP said...

Yes you should
JVIP

9:08 am  
Blogger Phoenix said...

margarette rona

I agree with JVIP. Do it!

Phoenix
x

10:08 am  
Blogger Lady in red said...

hi thanx for stopping by my blog

I also have a son who constantly has a guitar in his hands actually thats not true mostly he is on pc doing stuff for his band. They are all 19 been together since they were 12/13 playing somewhere in hereford tomorrow!!
I also have another son learning guitar and drums. I love music but it can be very noisy here sometimes. I cant even begin to describe the music they play but it isnt the beatles.

LiR

6:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter