Wednesday, April 25, 2007

EE-aye addio....we've won the cup !


I'm sad to say Alan Ball has died at the age of 61.


As a boy of 16, not much into football then, I didn't realise the huge contribution Alan Ball, and ten other men, gave to British culture.


A team governed by a huge dictator of a man with "issues" A team made up of personalities mostly, a few shyer men and at least five world class players*. Alan Ball scrapes into position six in terms of his rating at the time, I would say.


Alan always seemed to me to be a man who "belonged" He belonged to Britain. He belonged to 60's culture. He belonged to sporting excellence and he belonged to both straightforward decency and simple honour.


On the radio, it says he was watching, perhaps, one of the finest football matches ever seen in modern British history. And then........expired of a heart attack.






In 2005 Alan sold his World Cup Medal for about 150 thousand pounds to raise money for his family.


In my estimation, what a sad old tale that maybe says something about those public issues that seem to affect our private troubles.


I started watching football as a result of England's World Cup victory and have stuck with it since in a small way until quite recently.
Pip is in my life now and with her growing interest, a spark has blown into a fire of growing passion and I just feel it these days

It would be true to say I organised my head about my relationship with football in talking with Pip. I rather grandly talked about the sociology of football and how it is a metaphor for life. This thought made me ponder more on this thing about sport, and how some of us relate to it.


I have high expectations of it. And expect it to behave honourably. Its governed hugely by money money money. And I go along with this capitalist milch cow because it's football and football is a passion. But don't expect me to condone a system that seems to let down ordinary decent people.


The whole nature of football has changed so much, in so many ways, over the last 30 years.


Today, I feel sure there are many more casualties of the rigorous and fiercely competitive world of the British Premiership. The biggest and best world league by common consent. Certainly, the Premiership is capitalism's victory over the nation state, in the shape of the lamentable and poorly led current English Team.


War baby Alan now seems a reluctant hero compared to our modern boys.


War-baby Alan turn out a traditional, self-effacing man who did not push himself on others. Isn't it a pity that we, you and me, did not see fit to keep such men in our hearts and value them as heroes should be valued ?


Many people have come to talk about him on the radio this morning. We should maybe have talked about him more, before today.


JVIP


*Bobby Charlton, Gordon Banks, Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst. Our fifth did not play on the day but could be thought greater, in some ways, than the others.....Jimmy Greaves.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phoenix said...

JVIP: So do you think Alf Ramsey was a true leader. Someone who can get ordinary people to do extraordinary things?

Phoenix
x

1:11 pm  
Blogger Around My Kitchen Table said...

Here, here to your comments.
My late father trained a few racehorses in a very small way. He was friends with a bigger trainer who had horses for Mike Channon (ex-England,Southampton, Man City, now top racehorse trainer himself).
I once met Mike, Alan Ball and Kevin Keegan at Newton Abbot races. To say I was starstruck is the biggest understatement ever!
We went out for dinner a couple of times with Mike Channon and he told this funny story:
It was when Alan Ball was in the Southampton team under Lawrie McMenemy. He said Lawrie had broken down in a tunnel somewhere on his way to some footballing do. Who should come along by Alan Ball and his wife and they had a tow rope and pulled them out of the tunnel. Lawrie apparently said he could imagine the headlines the next day: "Lawrie McMenemy pulled out of tunnel by the Balls."!!
Alan Ball managed Exeter City when my friend was a sports reporter covering city. He wasn't a big fan of Alan before he met him but he soon became one. He said Alan Ball was always helpful, always honest and, basically, a really nice guy.
RIP Alan

10:32 pm  
Blogger Lady in red said...

lan ball was perhaps the only man to manage both portsmouth and southampton without the rivalry between the two teams becoming an issue. Our local radio has said that he was tending a bonfire in his garen when he had his heart attack.he had earlier been at his local pub ...very nice pub too

I wont go into my feelings on footall....I have been involved at grass roots level for years finally quitting as chair person of a local club last autumn.

6:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter