Thursday, January 11, 2007

Pretty in Pink

I first met Pip on the phone. She joined the organisation for whom I work. She was to become a Senior Manager.

Being cheeky, I called her to see how much and how far corporate speak and behaviour had entered her consciousness. 25 minutes banter ensued. I pushed my luck.

Finally, reassured my new boss was a person, I felt really supported that she had creative and dynamic ideas and exhibited a proper and real sense of care for others.

She was a bit flirty too.

I met this Pip in person 10 days later. She was articulate, commanding and dead capable at a professional meeting. When talking to a group, she blushed at the neck a little. She wore business clothes and seemed confident about a tweed short skirt in pink.

I don't know about you, but I get a distinctively uncertain feeling about women who get nervous in short skirts; like you might be trying to cop a look or something ?

It's like "you're a man, ergo you're gonna peep" My observation is that this often results in much hand shifting, positioning of....er.......clip boards and other nervous adjustments. I find this a tricky dynamic to manage.

Pip didn't have any of these characteristics.

3 years of working alongside this dynamo followed. Initial impressions were never dented.

Nearly two years ago now, she left the organisation. Not in the happiest of circumstances unfortunately.

I stayed in touch because I was supportive of her and, importantly, she was a person who believed in me.

Of course we met for coffee, of course we met for lunch, of course we talked about her new career and of course we shared intimacies.

And then we shared music. She knew Classical, Chopin and Mozart. She knew Steps, S Club 7, Destiny's Child and The Beatles.

She didn't know CSN, she didn't know Joni Mitchell, she didn't know Rock, she didn't know Country and she didn't know British RN'B. So, so much to learn Pip.

I played a guitar. I told her about it. I sang. I told her about it.

She now plays a guitar and is learning to sing beautifully.

3 days before Christmas last year, we sang and played together in front of 850 people. It was really good feeling. We are Rock and Roll Renegades.

Our lives have changed. We are lovers who are in love.

JVIP

1 Comments:

Blogger Phoenix said...

JVIP

What a beautiful story. You have clearly been struck by Cupid's arrow. Lucky man

Phoneix

2:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter